Back to Back Theatre
- Founded 1991 in Geelong, Australia.
- Based in Geelong, Australia.
The Australian Back to Back Theatre company is an ensemble of actors with a range of disabilities that has been producing theater works for more than 30 years. Their first performance in Japan took place in 2013 with the piece Ganesh vs. the Third Reich as part of the Festival/Tokyo. They returned in 2018 with the play small metal objects, organized by the Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre. Back to Back Theatre’s internationally renowned works shine a sharp light on the darker corners of society. Pioneers of inclusive theater, they employ the powers of fiction to constantly question the difficulties of surviving within the oppressiveness of contemporary society.
At Aichi 2022, the group present ODDLANDS, a science-fiction story about a near-future society controlled by society and the curious fate of two cleaners dispatched to a radiation-poisoned region, and their latest work SHADOW. Both plays ask sharp questions about the way contemporary society treats issues such as discrimination, discriminated people, alienation, care work, living and coexisting. Additionally, writer and director Bruce Gladwin is scheduled to join for a post-performance discussion.
*The respective works will be screened as recordings
- Selected Works & Awards
- Herald Angel Critic’s Award, Edinburgh International Festival, Edinburgh, UK
- Helpmann Award for Best Australian Work, Australia
- New York Dance and Performance Award (Bessie Award), USA
- Sidney Myer Performing Arts Group Award, Australia
- Venue / Access
- Large Rehearsal Room, Aichi Prefectural Art Theater (B2)
- 5 minutes on foot from Sakae Station on the Higashiyama Subway Line or Meijo Subway Line.
- 5 minutes on foot from Sakae-Machi Station on the Meitetsu Seto Line.
ODDLANDS / SHADOW
- Venue / Access
- Fushimi millionza
- 1 minute on foot going east from exit 1 at Fushimi Station on the Higashiyama Subway Line.
Online talk with the director, Bruce Gladwin on Sun, Oct 9. 19:30.
Details to be announced shortly.