- Born 1988 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Based in Tokyo, Japan.
Having started her career in the 2000s, Yo Nakamura is an energetic dancer and choreographer who has earned critical attention with her adaptations of masterpieces from film and literature, such as films by Yasujiro Ozu or Seicho Matsumoto’s short-story The Face, into the medium dance. Nakamura has been the assistant choreographer of figures like Ryohei Kondo, Shuji Onodera and Ko Murobushi, in whose Enthusiastic Dance on the Grave she also performed. She has created works throughout Europe and Asia. In recent years, Nakamura has focused her attention on choreography for operas.
Her piece Giselle, which will be performed at the Aichi Triennale 2022, is an ambitious attempt to adapt one of the masterpieces of classical ballet into a solo piece about a woman living in the world of today.
Nakamura boldly reconstructs the classic’s well-known themes about the complicated relationship of love, life and death unfolding between Giselle, Albrecht and Hilarion from a personal perspective and employs dance, quotes of poetic texts by Virginia Woolf, as well as humor and grave seriousness in a solo piece that will resonate deeply with today’s audiences.
- Selected Works & Awards
- Serse, Nikikai New Wave Opera Theater, Meguro Persimon Hall, Tokyo, Japan
- GISELLE special 30 min ver. (video)
- Pendulum vol.3, Yokohama Dance Collection Aozora Dance, Kanagawa, Japan
- 5th El Sur Foundation Newcomer Award for Contemporary Dance, Japan
- Sibiu International Theater Festival Jury Prize, Yokohama Dance Collection EX, Japan
- Sat, Sep 17, 18:30
Sun, Sep 18, 15:00◆
Mon, Sep 19, 15:00◆
◆= Childcare Service
- 60 min.
･Door tickets for adults, and U25 cost an additional ¥500.
- Childcare Service
For details (In Japanese)
- Venue / Access
- Mini Theater, Aichi Prefectural Art Theater (B1)
- 5 minutes on foot from Sakae Station on the Higashiyama Subway Line or Meijo Subway Line.
- 5 minutes on foot from Sakae-Machi Station on the Meitetsu Seto Line.